Step 2: Applying for a Joint Venture License
This step helps you understand how to apply for a joint venture license.
Complete the Joint Venture Application:
Take time to read and follow the instructions on the joint venture application.
- Each of the licensees participating in the joint venture must show its exact business name and license number as it appears on CSLB's records;
- One of the official personnel listed on CSLB's records for each participating licensee must sign the application. This person may be the owner, a partner or an officer of the corporation, but not a responsible managing employee;
- Submit the required $330 application filing fee;
- Submit the $200 initial license fee;
- Submit a $75 additional classification fee for each additional class being applied for;
Please note: Effective January 1, 2016, the required amount of a contractor’s bond will increase from $12,500 to $15,000. This change is the result of Senate Bill 467 (Hill). This increase also applies to cash deposits filed with CSLB in lieu of a contractor’s bond.
A contractor’s bond or cash deposit received at CSLB on or after January 1, 2016 must be in the required amount of $15,000. Any contractor’s bond or cash deposit received after December 31, 2015 in the amount of $12,500 cannot be processed.
The bond of qualifying individual will remain at $12,500.
- Submit the appropriate contractor's bond or cash deposit in the amount of $12,500. The bond or cash deposit must bear the same business name as the pending joint venture. Send the original bond (a copy is not acceptable); and
- The Workers' Compensation Certificate of Insurance if the joint venture is hiring employees, or an exemption form if no employees are being hired by the joint venture.
Submit the above documents and fees to the following address:
Contractors State License Board
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826-0026
Applicants Popular Pages
- Becoming a Licensed Contractor Booklet
- Forms and Applications
- CSLB Processing Times
- Guides and Publications
- License Classifications
- Workers' Compensation Company Search