Step 2: Canceling Your License
This step gives you general information on how to cancel your license as well specific cancellation instructions for each license type.
How to cancel your license:
- Notify CSLB within 90 days of the event that causes your request for cancellation by sending a written request to:
- CSLB Headquarters
Contractors State License Board
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826-0026
- There is no fee for cancellation.
- Return your wall certificate and your current pocket with your completed License Cancellation Request.
- Depending on the type of license you hold, your request for cancellation must fulfill the following requirements:
- The owner of the license must sign the request for voluntary cancellation.
- In the case of the owner's death, a family member or administrator of the estate of the deceased must sign the request, state the date of death, and provide a copy of the death certificate.
- A general partner must sign the request and state the date of disassociation.
- In the case of a partner's death, a remaining partner must sign the request, state the date of death, and provide a copy of the death certificate.
The President or Chief Executive Officer and one other officer must sign the request, and must do one of the following three things:
- State the date of the event causing cancellation (including out-of-state relocation); or
- Enclose a copy of the corporate minutes documenting the dissolution or merger; or
- Enclose a copy of the dissolution papers issued by the California Secretary of State
Joint Venture License
One of the official personnel (other than an RME) listed in CSLB's records for the license of any of the businesses forming the joint venture must sign and state the event causing the cancellation.
The effective date of cancellation is usually either:
- The date the request for cancellation is received by CSLB; or
- The date of the event causing the cancellation
ALERT A cancellation is not effective until it has been accepted by CSLB. The Board may decide not to cancel a license if disciplinary action is pending.
Contractors Popular Pages
- Check a License or HIS Registration
- Forms and Applications
- License Classifications
- List of All CSLB Fees
- Jobs "B" Contractor Can Perform